FWDBC TO BE CLOSED THROUGH MARCH 1, 2021
The FWDBC Board of Directors met July 22 to discuss many important issues facing the Club, all of which arise out of the circumstances presented by the coronavirus. Its decisions were:
- The Club will remain closed until March 1, 2021, unless a vaccine becomes widely available sooner. Input from the player survey, COVID cases rising in our area, and the impossibility of social distancing while playing bridge were factors in helping the Board make this decision.
- Since our Annual Meeting cannot be held this year, Board Treasurer Carl Wheeler and I will email a report on the status of the Club to players in December.
- Because it would also be difficult, if not impossible, to hold our annual Board election, the Board has asked members whose terms expire this year (Carl Wheeler, the current Treasurer; Judy Nelsen, the current Secretary; and Joe Kohne) to serve another year. In the December 2021 election, these seats will be filled for a two-year term and the seats normally expiring in 2021 will be filled for the usual three-year term.
- The Club is financially sound and can sustain being closed. Because it won’t be open for an extended time, the Board has decided to waive all Club membership dues for 2021.
If you haven’t been playing online (Bridge Base Online), please consider doing so. When you play in the Indy Virtual Club Games, part of your entry fee is returned to our Club. If you need help getting set up on BBO or learning how to use it, I’m happy to help. (See also below.)
Kim Grant, Board President
FWDBC 2020 LONGEST DAY RAISES $13,275 FOR ALZHEIMER’S!
With a major donation from the Rifkin Family Foundation on behalf of Martin and Judy Rifkin, plus amounts given by generous players and others listed below, the FWDBC exceeded its 2020 Longest Day fundraising goal of $12,000. We will also be in the top 10 ACBL clubs in amounts raised for the Alzheimer’s Association.
Thanks to all these generous donors to our 2020 Longest Day fundraiser!
Alpha Delta Kappa
The Chapman Fund
Stan and Dena Davis
Bob and Barb Gasser
Bob and Kim Grant
The Rifkin Family Foundation on behalf of Martin and Judy Rifkin
Sweetwater and Chuck & Lisa Surack
The Tippman Family Fund
ONLINE GAMES FOR FWDBC PLAYERS SET UP
The FWDBC is now partnering with the Indianapolis Bridge Center for Bridge Base Online’s Virtual Club Games. This means that our players are welcome to play there and if they do, our club will receive a share of the entry fees. We are financially healthy, but this income will help offset our fixed expenses until we get back to playing in person.
To play in the Indianapolis Open or Limited online games (times/cost), you first need to be registered (free) at Bridgebase.com with a username and ACBL number. (If you don’t know the latter, contact Kim Grant at (email@example.com). Also please send Kim your BBO user name. Click here for more details on how to register, find a game, and play online bridge for lots of masterpoints. Enjoy!
OTHER CLUB NEWS
MASTERPOINTS FROM ONLINE GAMES COUNT TOWARD RANK CHANGES
Did you know that masterpoints earned in Virtual Club or other ACBL-sanctioned online games count toward rank advancements for FWDBC players? However, no tally is being kept for our club’s annual masterpoint race this year, since the club will be closed most of 2020.
NEXT SWISS TEAM GAME PLANNED FOR MONDAY, MARCH 15, 2021
Third Monday of most months 1 PM
Tuesday 1 PM
Wednesday 1 PM
Saturday 1 PM
Saturday 6 PM
Are your phone/email listed? Do you want them to be?
The FWDBC maintains several lists based on player preferences. If you would like to be added to OR removed from any of the lists below, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Those on our email list receive a monthly email of club news, including rank advancements, and occasionally are sent other timely news or announcements.
- We maintain a directory of player telephone numbers and email addresses for players’ use only--this directory is available at the club but not published online.
- Players’ phone numbers only are listed online, near the bottom of the Member page..